How you can benefit from outpatient rehab after surgery
Surgery is usually a last-resort option for treating chronic pain or injuries. Most people can recover from many types of pain or injuries with physical therapy alone. However, some conditions are too advanced for what physical therapists specialize in, meaning surgery might be the best alternative.
Surgery doesn’t negate the effectiveness of physical therapy, though. It actually creates a need for physical therapy. Many surgical procedures are very invasive and take quite a toll on your body. Outpatient rehab with a physical therapist after surgery addresses the toll surgery takes on your body and helps you recover better afterward. Without physical therapy after surgery, you might not heal correctly and still have to deal with pain and stiffness that were affecting your life before.
How outpatient rehab after surgery benefits you
If you’re expecting to have surgery soon or have just had an operation recently, you should schedule a consultation with a physical therapist as soon as possible to improve your recovery.
Benefits of outpatient rehab with a physical therapist include:
- Less pain — Many people avoid physical therapy out of fear that it will hurt or challenge them too much. However, one of its main goals is to reduce pain, not cause it. The exercises and stretches used in outpatient rehab are gentle and personalized to each patient’s needs to help them manage their pain.
- Stronger and more flexible muscles — During surgery, surgeons have to cut through muscles and soft tissue to access the operation area. This damages the muscles, which affects their strength after the operation. Physical therapists can help you rebuild your strength at a healthy pace so you can regain the use of your muscles.
- Improved range of motion — Scar tissue builds up when damaged muscles and soft tissue tries to heal on its own. This is a problem because scar tissue is rigid and limits the range of your motion. Physical therapists use treatments that help prevent the buildup of scar tissue while you’re recovering, and they can help you break down any existing scar tissue you have.
- Improved balance — Physical therapists can guide you through exercises specifically designed to help you regain your ability to balance if that’s been affected by your surgery.
- Reduced chance of injury — Your body is sensitive after a surgery and can be more prone to injury from a fall or from lack of structural support in your muscles. Outpatient rehab helps build the structures in your muscles that can lower your risk of injury.
- Regaining your independence — Drastic surgeries can make it impossible for a person to live without the constant aid of others. Physical therapy after surgery helps you recover more quickly so you can regain your independence and live your life as you want to live it.
Franklin Rehabilitation has extensive post-surgical rehab experience
Are you having surgery soon or have you recently had an operation? Post-surgical rehab can improve your recovery so you can get back to your life.
At our outpatient clinics conveniently located in Franklin, Wisconsin, patients recovering from surgery can expect exceptional care from our team of highly skilled clinicians. We’ll work closely with your surgical team to ensure continuity of care and a recovery plan that is right for your procedure and your individual needs.
To learn more about how we can help if you are scheduling a surgery or have recently undergone a procedure, contact us today. We’ll be glad to schedule your initial appointment at the location that is right for you.