Elbow pain when lifting things at work? These 4 PT exercises can help
Many of us may have experienced an injury at work (like elbow pain when lifting objects) only to find out that the damage could have been prevented. A common workplace injury is elbow pain. An injury of this type can leave you unable to do your job. Elbow pain may cause you to miss time from work and force your employer to find coverage for you. It’s frustrating on both ends, which is why finding physical therapy techniques to address elbow pain from lifting things at work can be so helpful.
Exercises you can do while at work
- Isometric wrist exercise
- Your palm should hang off the edge of the table as you sit upright.
- Extend your palm fully toward your arm with your palm facing downward.
- While pressing the back of the palm with your other hand, make sure that the wrist doesn’t move. Be cautious not to overexert your muscles, or you may experience pain.
- Complete two or three repetitions by holding this position for 45 to 60 seconds.
- Finger slide exercise
- Your palm should be facing downward and your fingers flat as you rest your arm on a table.
- Slide your fingertips backward toward your wrist as far as you can. As your knuckles rise in the air, keep the pads of your fingers in contact with the surface. Try not to bend your fingers at all during this process.
- Try to do 10 reps of this exercise, and repeat it as necessary throughout the day.
- Fist clench exercise
- While sitting at a table, place your forearm on the table.
- In your hand, hold a small ball or rolled-up towel.
- Hold the towel for 10 seconds while squeezing it in your hand.
- Upon release, repeat 10 times. Alternate the arm.
- Wrist stretch exercise
- Your elbow should be straight and your palm facing down as you extend your arm in front of your body.
- You will feel a stretch in the area of your wrist or forearm once you move your unaffected hand downward.
- Perform two to three repetitions of this position after holding it for 30 seconds. Continue to do this for five minutes every day. .
Turn to Franklin Rehabilitation for help with your elbow pain
Have you been experiencing elbow pain when lifting things and doing other normal tasks at work? Franklin Rehabilitation has physical therapists who can help reduce your elbow pain when lifting objects. To determine the cause of the pain, we can perform a free screening. Moreover, our therapists can design a customized physical therapy plan for you that focuses on reducing your pain and preventing it from returning.
Contact us for more information or schedule an appointment with our team if you suffer from elbow pain.