What is causing my neck and jaw pain?
It’s normal to have mild soreness in your neck or jaws at some point in life. However, if you have long-lasting or intense pain in both of these areas at the same time, there may be an underlying condition that requires professional treatment.
What causes neck and jaw pain?
There are a variety of conditions that cause neck and jaw pain. However, when you’re experiencing pain in both of these areas at the same time, it’s commonly connected to one of these conditions:
- Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) dysfunction — TMJ dysfunction is one of the most common culprits of co-occurring neck and jaw pain. You have a TMJ on each side of your jaw right below the ear. These are the tiny joints that connect your jaw to the rest of your skull. Irritation from an injury or chronic condition can cause pain in the TMJ joints. Often, long-lasting neck pain can spread into the TMJ and cause TMJ dysfunction.
- Neck tension — Tension in the neck muscles feels more common than ever thanks to a phenomenon known as text neck. We spend so much time looking down at our smartphones that it causes tension in the neck muscles. Tension in the neck can cause pain to spread into the jaw as well and cause headaches.
- Strain — Strain in your neck from overexertion in physical activity or from poor posture can cause neck pain. This pain can spread into your jaw, as well as causing headaches.
Treating neck and jaw pain
Treatments for neck and jaw pain vary depending on the cause and severity. Physical therapists can examine your condition and review other factors, such as age and medical history. Using this information, they can put together a personalized treatment routine to help treat neck and jaw pain, improve your range of motion and prevent future pain.
Physical therapy treatments for neck and jaw pain often include:
- Gentle stretches and exercises.
- Hands-on therapy, including soft tissue and joint mobilization techniques.
- Posture guidance.
- Patient education, including nutrition and advice for activities.
Visit Franklin Rehabilitation for neck and jaw pain treatment
Are you tired of constant neck and jaw pain making your daily life more challenging? Our team at Franklin Rehabilitation is here to help. We can examine your neck and jaw and provide a treatment that helps manage your condition. Contact our team today for more information about neck and jaw pain or to schedule an initial appointment.