Why do I have pain on the outside of my wrist?
Your wrists are very important joints in your body. They provide movement for the hands, which is how we interact with much of the world around us. When one or both of the wrists are in pain, it can be difficult to get through the day.
Wrist pain comes in a variety of forms. It’s not uncommon to have a sore wrist after a long day of hard work or sports activities. However, when you have prolonged pain on the outside of your wrist, you may have a chronic condition or injury that requires treatment.
Causes of pain on the outside of the wrist
Known as the ulnar wrist, the outside of your wrist has many moving parts that can be related to your pain. Your doctor may want to take an X-ray or CT scan before confirming a diagnosis.
In many cases, pain on the outside of the wrist is connected to one of the following conditions:
- Fractures — Your wrists are vulnerable to fracture from traumatic impacts. For example, if you fall and attempt to catch yourself, you may fracture one of the bones in your wrist. Some of these fractures in the ulnar region are small and hard to notice, but they can cause pain on the outside of the wrist.
- Tendinitis — There are many tendons around your wrists that connect the muscles in your hands to the joints. Irritation from repetitive activities can cause inflammation in one or more of these tendons. This leads to a painful, long-lasting condition known as tendinitis.
- Arthritis — Arthritis causes the cartilage in your joints to wear down. This condition can affect the joints in your hand, which can cause pain on the outside of the wrist and other areas of your hands and wrists.
Treatment for wrist pain
Treatments for wrist pain vary depending on the cause and severity of your condition. In many cases, physical therapy can help.
Physical therapists can examine your wrists to identify the cause of your pain. They can guide you through a personalized treatment routine designed to manage the pain, improve your range of motion and slow the progression of chronic conditions, such as arthritis.
Physical therapy treatments are always customized to the needs of each client, but you can generally expect your treatment to include:
- Gentle stretches and exercises.
- Hands-on therapy.
- Posture guidance.
- Patient education, such as nutrition information.
Visit Franklin Rehabilitation for wrist pain treatment
Do you have pain along the outside of your wrist that makes it difficult to get through your daily activities? Our team at Franklin Rehabilitation is here to help you manage your pain and improve your quality of life. Contact our team today for more information about pain on the outside of the wrist or to schedule an initial appointment.