Why do I have these chronic daily headaches?
It’s not always readily apparent why you have chronic daily headaches, but they’re often caused by some type of underlying issue. A physical therapist can help you determine the cause of your frequent headaches.
Chronic daily headaches are ones that occur on more than 15 days per month and last at least four hours per day. Medical researchers report that about 40% of the patients who went to a specialized headache clinic met these criteria. Physical therapists have the human musculoskeletal system knowledge to help you find the cause of your headaches. Also, these specialists can help you find treatment that’s effective for your frequent headaches.
Issues that could be causing your chronic daily headaches
There are many problems that can trigger frequent and even daily headaches. However, there are certain issues that are more likely to cause such headaches. A few of the issues that physical therapists often see causing frequent headaches include:
- Medication overuse — This issue tends to occur when people use pain medication to treat headaches on more than two days per week.
- Whiplash — Whiplash can cause trauma in the soft tissue in your neck, which can lead to frequent headaches if left untreated.
- Other chronic pain conditions — People who are already dealing with chronic pain from issues like fibromyalgia are more likely to experience chronic headaches.
- Anxiety — The stress created by chronic anxiety can lead to more frequent headaches.
What physical therapists can do for your chronic daily headaches
There are many benefits that physical therapy can offer for people who have frequent headaches. For instance, physical therapists can help reduce the frequency of your headaches. Such benefits are often possible thanks to physical therapy plans that contain techniques like:
- Therapeutic exercises
- Instrument-assisted soft tissue mobilization (IASTM)
- Trigger point release
- Spinal mobilization
Franklin Rehabilitation offers top-notch treatment for daily headaches
Suffering from chronic daily headaches? Our Franklin Rehabilitation physical therapists are primed to help treat your headaches. We offer free screenings that can help pinpoint any underlying issues that are causing your headaches. Our specialists also excel at constructing personalized therapy plans designed to:
- Reduce pain.
- Improve neck and shoulder mobility.
- Increase your ability to do normal daily tasks.
- Decrease the frequency of your headaches.
Contact our team today for more information about how we can help with your headaches or to schedule an initial appointment.