What can physical therapy do for my migraines?
There are many things that physical therapy can do for your migraines. That’s why you should consider working with a physical therapist if you have regular migraines.
Migraines are more common among Americans than you might think. Medical research shows that migraines affect 39 million men, women and children in the U.S. They can also be extremely problematic to deal with. It’s reported that more than 90% of migraine sufferers are unable to work or function normally when they have one. However, going to physical therapy is one step you can take for your migraines.
What goals will your physical therapy for migraines seek to meet?
Each person who seeks help from a physical therapist will likely have different reasons to do so. After all, every person experiences migraines differently. The treatment plan your physical therapist builds for you will be designed to meet several goals. Some common goals your plan can help you meet include:
- Education — There’s an old saying that knowledge is power. This is especially true when you’re dealing with an injury or medical issue. Physical therapists will seek to educate you about migraines in general. They may also try to help you understand why you are experiencing migraines.
- Reducing migraine duration — Untreated migraines can last anywhere from four to 72 hours. Your therapist will work to help decrease how long your migraines last.
- Decreasing migraine frequency — If you have migraines regularly, you’d probably be excited to have fewer of them or none at all. A physical therapist can work with you to reduce the number of migraines you experience.
What kinds of physical therapy methods are used for treating migraines?
Physical therapists are trained to use many techniques to help their patients. Some of these techniques are helpful if you’re suffering from migraines. A couple techniques your physical therapist may use to help you address migraines are:
- Therapeutic exercises that can help decrease pain and headache duration.
- Biofeedback therapy designed to help you reduce stress and decrease the chances of triggering a migraine.
Find physical therapy for your migraines at Franklin Rehab
Want to try physical therapy for your migraines? Our team at Franklin Rehabilitation is prepared to help you address migraines and other types of headaches. We offer free screenings designed to help us learn as much as possible about your condition. Additionally, our physical therapists can build you an individualized therapy plan designed to meet all three of the goals discussed above.
Contact our team today for more information about how we can help with your migraines or to schedule an initial appointment.